Friday, December 2, 2011

Day 1 of Left Ear Stereo Hearing adjustment

I realized I might have to be changing the name of my blog now! Maybe to Mono PLUS.

I can't ever somehow magically recover the hearing loss I do have. This whole experience is to maximize what I do have, using both technology and awareness of how the brain works and can be tricked into operating.

Yesterday was the fitting of the hearing aid in the left ear. The first awkward moment was trying to figure out how to get the earmold in my ear! I have been doing it with the fit of the right side so long it actually took me a good minute or two to get things snug and fitted correctly.

I walked into the office with Nothing To Lose. I was nervous as hell. As I was waiting, another patient who also has the same split of hearing loss between right and left ears was leaving. Larry encouraged her to sit and talk with me for a minute to share her experiences, as she had been undergoing the gradual vibration increase since earlier this summer.

Talking to her gave me hope. To hear that someone else is going through it at exactly the same time, and to ask her questions that no one else could really understand. Things like did she have family support behind her about this? How did she feel only now discovering this was available? Did people notice a difference in her? Was she vocal about her improved hearing? How did it feel? Was it a noticeable improvement?

And then it was my turn.

There are not words to explain what went through my head when we hooked up the left ear, we turned on the hearing aid, and then I spoke.

And the world will never be the same again.

I was sitting there in the office with tears in my eyes - first from the shock of the vibrations coming in much more strongly than anything I'd ever had in that ear and it hurt like hell. But then tears of joy as I was sitting there in shock taking it all in.

It is nowhere near perfect hearing. But to have something, ANYTHING, change from the normal was an indication this just might work. To have something happen that I could point to and say A HA! That wasn't there before.

It'll make the migraines worth it. When I have the left hearing aid in I am super super SUPER sensitive to sounds. Just a louder than normal talking voice is enough to make my cover my ears. Larry recommended I take it out when leaving the office and I'm glad I did.

On to day 2.

1 comment: