Sunday, December 4, 2011

72 hour mark Observations

So I am approximately 72 hours into this adventure. Some observations I've found myself making:

- Extremely extremely sensitive and startled by noise. I've not worn the aid outside more than once, since I am usually near the train or traveling on the train. I'm not quite brave enough to try that more than once so far.

I'm not always sure what's going to be too loud. Just doing the dishes and having the plate the side of the sink was very uncomfortable to feel. Setting the plastic bowl of cat food on the floor hurt to feel. I've found myself adjusting the sound volume on my laptop, my work phone ringer, and my cell phone down a few notches after having them go off and it being unpleasant.

- Voices don't sound so flat. I was watching a show on Hulu and had stepped away from in front of my computer. When not looking at the faces, the voice of Ty with Extreme Home Makeover sounded different. It sounded like there were more layers to his voice. This is an interesting development for me because I really love hearing spoken word from some specific people. I'm excited to go back and listen to things I have recorded by them again and compare the difference.

- Independent hearing experiences is TRIPPY feeling. This was the one time I had the left aid in and I was on the train. I had my mono T-Coil headset on my right ear, and the left hearing aid on to the normal mode. I was listening to my music when all of the sudden I would feel things with my left ear. It caught me completely by surprise.

I tried taking the T-coil headset off and placing it on the left ear, to see if the left ear was picking up any sound signals. I wasn't able to hear anything at all when I did that. I also lost the sound signal on the right side as soon as the T-coil piece was more than an inch or so away from the hearing aid.

So my conclusion so far is that the left ear vibration was picking up the train noise. Once I started paying closer attention, I noticed I felt the vibration most strongly when the train sped up. I've never before had any other experience outside the world of having the T-coil mode on.

1 comment:

  1. So cool to read about your experiences, you are like a walking science experiment. Also makes me realize how much I take hearing for granted.

    ReplyDelete