Thursday, May 14, 2009

Deaf Do's and Dont's

Every person is different, and some things will be different for sign only deaf compared to lipreading and oral deaf. Here's just a few of my personal Do's and Dont's based on experience.


Do:-

- Speak in a conversational tone. I learned to read lips moving at regular pace, not super exaggerated or yelling.

- Make eye contact with me. That's how I can tell we're having a conversation!

- Be attentive in your body language. I can't always pick up the smaller vocal intonations that go along the flow of a conversation, and will trust your body language before your voice.

- Speak Directly to me, instead of nominating someone in the group as an "interpreter"

- Take turns talking in a group, and give me a chance to respond - I can only read one set of lips at a time




Don't:
- Throw something to get my attention. Have some respect for my safety - I walk to you to talk, please do the same to me.

- Cover your mouth with your hands or other objects while talking to me.

- Tell me "Never Mind" or "I'll Tell you later" if I ask you to repeat something. No doubt you'll forget, and I'll just be even more frustrated.

- Get mad at me for leaving the group and sitting by myself near the front at a gathering with speakers and no captions. Sitting in the back where I can't hear is a waste of my time, and you won't appreciate my interruptions to ask what is happening.

- Touch my hearing aid without asking. It squeals in my ear, not yours, and is very distracting and annoying.

- Expect me to hear you well if you are in a dark corner, in the shadows, or in another room. Save your breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment