Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hearing Aid Tax Credit Bill in Progress


I am really frustrated about this. My hearing is not covered one iota under insurance, and my most recent one purchased in March 2009 ran me $3600. 

I got excited when I heard that a tax credit bill was pending in the House of Representatives, to possible go into effect with the Jan 1 2010 tax year. 

Here is a summary of the bill:

Hearing Aid Assistance Tax Credit Act - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to allow a nonrefundable income tax credit of up to $500 for the purchase of a qualified hearing aid for an individual who is either: (1) age 55 or older; or (2) is claimed as a dependent of the taxpayer. Denies such tax credit to any taxpayer whose modified adjusted gross income exceeds $200,000.


Under these qualifiers, I would not be eligible for this tax credit. My hearing loss is just as impactful to my daily life. It is a financial cost that I have to pay 100% out of pocket, with very few options for affordability.

Why am I being excluded from being considered? I'm not making $200,000, and $500 seems low considering the actual cost of the hearing aids. I wouldn't be complaining about getting any form of compensation, but even if this passes, it does nothing for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment