Saturday, June 6, 2009

Being a Deaf Driver

Being deaf and a driver, there are some things to keep in mind.

1) We often can't hear sirens right away, and I know that when I got my license that was a voiced concern. As soon as I am made aware of the siren, I pull over.

2) Some states provide special license plates so that police officers are aware that there is a deaf driver in the vehicle. For Arizona, there was an H at the beginning of the license plate number.

3) Check your license requirements. For IL, because of my deafness the state required that I drive a vehicle that had sideview mirrors on both sides of the vehicle. To be honest, I don't think I've seen a car that was meant to only have 1 sideview mirror! On my NY license, it had on the back that I was deaf.

4) If you do get pulled over, immediately communicate to the officer that you are deaf. I am able to at least converse if I am given the chance to ask for repetition, so they don't have to mess with the pen and paper.

5) I fail the DUI walk in a straight line test while 150% sober, so any officer worth his salt will have his breathilizer handy. Or better yet- DON'T DRINK and DRIVE!

6) I fail the CDL hearing test in order to pass the Dept of Transportation Physical exam. At an old job we had physicals given onsite to our students and the Dr. gave me the test, as everyone was curious. Nice to know I can't be a pilot, or a trucker.


I am glad for the priviledge to drive. There are at least 26 countries according to the World Federation of the Deaf that do not allow deaf people to obtain a drivers license.

No comments:

Post a Comment